Thursday, March 20, 2014

Minsky Garden Journal March 12, 2014

Spring is quickly approaching so I decided to clean up the garden and plant some new vegetables. It is always so overwhelming to start cleaning the garden. I finally decided I had enough, put my gloves on and went in to clean. So quickly in fact that I forgot to take pictures. So I am sorry there are no "before” pictures. 

It was a wild overgrown winter mess. Even though we had a pretty dry winter, there were still a good amount of weeds to take out, an old rose tree that did not make it through the winter and lots of leaves.  After some cleanup was completed I went to Lowes and picked up some butter lettuce, cilantro, basil and parsley plants to start in the vegetable bed. While Tristan, my 3 year old, was at school and Austin, my 1 year old, napped I spent some time planting the new herbs and vegetable plants I had purchased. This is my third year planting and I have not really learned how to keep the plants from the previous year healthy through the winter. This is one of the things I want to focus on learning this year and hopefully have some of these new plants bloom and produce vegetables next year for us.

I still have the other half of the vegetable bed to clean, the planters above to clean and also I have to fertilize the avocado and citrus trees. I also need to go to the nursery and pick out some new vegetables to plant. I am so glad I finally got in there and started cleaning and also I took a few “after” pictures.


Posted by Cynthia Minsky

No comments:

Post a Comment