Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Minsky's Kitchen: Banana Nut Muffins



My husband, Rob, would rather get an extra ten minutes of sleep in the morning than sit down and have breakfast before going to work. So, I try to make him something that's easy to grab and go but also good tasting as he runs out the door every morning. I have made many muffin recipes before and find it to be so easy to prepare that even my son, Tristan, joins me in the kitchen to help. I enjoy it when he helps me cook or bake because he loves eating what he makes. Instead of it being a struggle for my 3 year old to eat, it becomes fun for him since he knows he helped make it.

I found this recipe here and although this recipe is good, I do change one thing. Rather than using coffee I add cinnamon instead. I feel the cinnamon has healthier properties and find it adds a great flavor. Also, the aroma of the muffins baking with cinnamon is so yummy we can't resist eating them hot, straight out of the oven.  As with any baking recipe I check the muffins early at 20 minutes because every oven bakes differently.  Actual baking time may vary. Keep checking until you find they are baked to your liking. The recipe notes that you do not need a mixer to prepare but I find it easier to blend it well in a mixer.

If you have a nut allergy or simply do not like them you can bake without the nuts and they will taste just as great. I always make sure the bananas are brown on the outside and very ripe. The more ripe the sweeter they taste.

-------
INGREDIENTS
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tbsp espresso or strong coffee (I use 1 TEASPOON of cinnamon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cup of flour
1 cup chopped walnuts



1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
3. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in.
4. Add the flour, mix until it is just incorporated. Fold in the chopped walnuts.
5. Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool on a rack.

Here is the link for the original recipe as well: 

No comments:

Post a Comment