Friday, April 11, 2014

Minsky's Summer Shrimp Salad


This is my mother's recipe, she calls Ceviche. I have added some ingredients and changed it a bit, to make it my own. It has always been a huge hit at my family's summer parties. I call it a Summer Salad because Ceviche means to marinate raw fish in lime/lemon juice, without cooking it.  This dish does not have raw fish. The imitation crab meat is sold cooked and you can also buy the shrimp precooked (I have tried and it tastes just as great) or you can cook your own. When I cook my shrimp I use salted boiling water and you have to be careful to not over cook them. 





18 oz Imitation Crab Meat
1/2 lb shrimp deveined and cooked
3/4 cup of lemon juice, about 6 lemons



2 medium Roma tomatoes
4 green onions chopped
4 teaspoons cilantro chopped
1/2 medium cucumber diced
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Avocado
1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips


Dice the crab meat into small cubes in a large bowl. Cut up the shrimp into bite size pieces and place in the bow with crab. Pour the lemon juice into the bowl with shrimp and crab put the bowl in the fridge so that it marinates while you are chopping the veggies. After 30 minutes add the tomatoes, green onions, cilantro, cucumber, ketchup, salt and pepper to the shrimp and crab and taste for seasoning. Adjust seasoning if you wish.




I dice the avocado once we are ready to eat. Once each plate is served I top it with lots of avocado, and we dip our chips in. For some spice you can serve it with some chile sauce. My choice is Tapatio.

No comments:

Post a Comment